Monday, July 20, 2009

Colors at the end of the rainbow!

I have heard it said that there is gold at the end of the rainbow and I think that it is an Irish saying. This Scotswoman opened some of the numerous boxes that arrived this past week at Dyed In The Wool and discovered a veritable rainbow in each one.

There was a box from Mountain Colors - just picture the greens, browns, golds, blues, yellows, coppers, reds, purples, oranges, lilacs, well you get the idea. Every skein I picked up was my favorite until I picked up the next skein. I was so enthralled with that box that the other boxes could wait until I saw a label from Blue Heron. Guess what? I left the box of Mountain Colors and opened the Blue Heron Box.

The textures and colors of the hand dyed yarn from Blue Heron were amazing. Soft textures with deep, rich colors. Blends of colors, tone on tone, some with gold glittering through, some with copper and others with silver. The chenilles, rayons, merino and silks, cottons, each bringing a little majic to the room. Then out of the corner of my eye was a small label from Aslan Trends. As I couldn't remember what we had ordered I..........of course..........opened the next box. I have the attention span of a gnat.

Inside the Aslan box was brilliant colors of sock yarn and also wonderful shades, some subtle and some not of yarn for felting. I saw felted bags in skein form before my eyes. The beautiful bright tones of the blended colors dazzled my eyes and I sat there staring at them, trying to decide should I start with a pair of socks right now or maybe a felted bag, or maybe a coin purse with beads. So many choices my mind was now on total overload. I had one more box sitting in the corner and the question now was should I open it or should I wait until my mind calmed down to a useable pace. The sensible side of me said wait, but then I have never listed to that particular voice and ripped open the box.

Jojoland was inside this box. More sock yarn and the fine lace in delicate colors. The sock yarn was glorious and the lace weight spoke to me and told me it was time I put away the felted yarn and spent some time working a serious lace shawl, scarf or something tiny and delicate.

All of a sudden I realized that it was time to open the shop, I hadn't inventoried what was in the boxes and Lynda hadn't been here to see so I carefully taped up the boxes and put them in the back room to open with Lynda and go through the yarn and color frenzy all over again. There are advantages to having a short memory span, you see I can enjoy this experience all over again like it was the first time but this time, hopefully tomorrow, I will have a camera handy so that you can see what we see.

I can't wait to post the pictures so you too can experience the colors at the end of the rainbow inside my boxes!

No comments:

Post a Comment